21 August 2010

The State of the Blog, 21 August 2010

It’s been a while since I’ve done a State of the Blog post, so now seems as good a time as any for another one. You. Have. Been. Warned.

Things have been busy, as I am sure you can tell. I’ve been working on a number of projects for the blog, some of which have not yet come to fruition but are in varying stages of completion. You’ll know them when you see them. Having said that (I can hear the groans now…thank you peanut gallery), I figured I’d outline some of the things you might have already seen, some of the things you haven’t, and some of the things that have not yet come to pass, yet still might.

I’ve been trying to change things up a little bit with some different kinds of posts here and there…I love the 1500 word album review, but it can get a little difficult from time to time to force that many words from what I like to think of as a semi-functioning cerebral cortex. And frankly, from time to time I find time slips away. So you get what you got last week for a Magma Monday post…a photo gallery. From time to time, and when it makes sense, I’ll post another one (like this week’s Moraine gallery to accompany their interview, or the Pineapple Thief gallery to accompany the review).

I’ve also posted the occasional video when I know it is band sanctioned, like the From.UZ trailers for their new DVD, or the District 97 videos, or what have you. I’ll continue to do that from time to time when something looks worthwhile and is band/artist sanctioned.

One thing I have made an effort to do more of are themed days, like the infamous Frogg Café Day. I had a blast with that, and it was nice to spend a day focusing on a single artist. Moraine and Pineapple Thief had sort of similar type things, and we sort of had another theme day yesterday with the pair of Ascent of Everest reviews. I can say that there will probably be a few more of them as we go along, so keep your eyes peeled, as you never know when I’ll do something similar.

I’m also working on another series of posts, which at this point will remain secret, but which I hope will allow me to cover some things I might not normally do (in order to focus on the present) while adding in a bit of the irreverence that I rather seem to enjoy from time to time. I’ve generally kept the serious snark on the non-main pages (the F.U.Q. is filled with it), and while I won’t go full blown stark raving loony on you, these pieces will hopefully inject a little levity in what can sometimes be a rather stuffy, studious arena. Again, keep reading, you’ll know when it starts when you see the first post.

Interviews are still an ongoing project, as you have seen. I enjoy doing them, and there’s more to come in the following weeks. There are 2 in queue right now that I think you’ll enjoy, Constant Reader, and more that I am working on setting up (EDIT: since writing this line, I’ve confirmed 3 additional ones…i.e., there are questions that just went out to the artists in question, and there’s two other musicians working on things now in the midst of studio sessions for a new album…so there’s a total of 7 interviews coming your way sooner or later). You’ll know them when you see them. I’ve been posting interviews in Tuesdays for no better reason than that was when I started doing it this go around, but if I start getting in too many completed ones again, we’ll figure out how to schedule them twice a week or something.

Let’s see…what else?

Oh, yes.

Loads of new stuff coming your way. There are some great album and DVD reviews coming up (music has been flowing in fairly steadily the past week or so), as well as a book review (something I haven’t done since I was in college writing for the school newspaper). I’m hoping the concert calendar opens up for me and I can hit a few shows for y’all as well…there are some great performers coming to the area, I just need to work on availability and scheduling. Keep your fingers crossed!

I do have a new poll up, as you have hopefully seen. Please vote. Early and often as the early Chicago political machines would have. Your enthusiasm motivates me to post more polls as the older ones end. As always, the finished polls will be posted to the polls archive page on completion. And if you have any ideas for polls, please drop me a line and let me know, either as a comment here, or whatever. I’m always open to suggestions from the people reading at home.

And it’s Saturday, and while I’ve said in the past ‘no Saturday posts’ I haven’t exactly followed through on that. I’m not trying to make a habit of it, but Saturdays have been good for catching you up on tour dates and stuff like that.

Oh! Before I go. Neat factoid bit for you. In the past three days, the blog has had visitors from 42 different countries. That blows my mind. Some don’t surprise. Germany, the UK, Canada, Japan? Sure, I’d expect that. Same of course with the US…if no one here was visiting, I’d be worried. But South Korea? Tunisia? Egypt? That was awesome, and makes me more enthused to keep going. Thank you all…I mean it.

Anyway…going to post this. I’ve already spent over 900 words blathering on.
Then take the rest of the day off.

In theory, anyway.

See you on Magma Monday!

No comments: