18 April 2008

Gong dates in London with Hillage!

Posted on the Planet Gong site:

For the latest transmissions from the luminous green planet - Gong dada 'hymn-self', daevid allen, is joined by co-founder Gilli Smyth, the motherbeat bass of Mike Howlett, master drummer Chris Taylor, incomparable jazz saxophonist Theo Travis - and for the first time in the UK since 1975 - Steve Hillage & Miquette Giraudy!

Both these events have a special limited 'Early Bird' ticket offer available to you.

Sat 14 Jun - UK, London, Queen Elizabeth Hall (seated venue) - GONG at Massive Attack's Meltdown 7.30pm. Tickets £18.50 (rear stalls), £22.50 (front stalls). South Bank Centre, London, SE1 8XX.
To get tickets in advance of the general on-sale date of 25th April and claim a 5‰ discount you need to call 0871 663 2500 (UK) or +44 871 663 2500 (from abroad) and quote 'Fan Offer' (their words, you're all friends to us). This offer is for phone and in person sales only.

Sun 15 Jun - UK, London, The Forum (standing venue) - GONG + Slackbaba 7.30pm. Tickets £19.50. Kentish Town, London, NW5 1JY

To get tickets online with reduced booking fee and transaction costs visit:-

www.artistticket.com/artist/?s=gong

This offer is limited to the first 500 tickets and comprises of a £1.25 booking fee as opposed to £2.45. Non-UK purchasers will be able to pickup their tickets on the night of the show. UK purchasers will also have the additional benefit of a £2.50 postal processing cost (First Class Post Recorded Delivery) as opposed to the normal £4.90 seetickets.com processing fee.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just my response/opinion: neither Gong nor Steve Hillage did much for me ... Not saying they are good nor bad but the compilations I have of both put me to sleep, albeit good musicianship!

Anonymous said...

Whoever wrote the comment above is an ignorant fool, so foolish that he thinks his comment has some sort of worth. I'm very sorry that these wonderful music makers dodn't do much for you, I'm afraid to say that you are probably emotionally non-receptive to intellegent and heart felt music. If you can't be bothered to actually listen (and I mean listen), don't bother. Musicians are not just there for your entertainment, sometimes they have truley valid social comments to make (unlike yourself). Your comment has no meaning what so ever, but could potentially cause people to not even give the music a listen (which would be a huge shame). This is just my response/opinion! Steve Hillage is god! Gong were genius! You're not worth listening to!

Bill K. said...

Keep it civil. There is nothing in the comment you are replying to that merits name calling and the type of attack you've posted.

Anonymous said...

It surprises me how someone who love prog rock so much they make a blog dedicated to it, complains when someone defends a pointless (and potentially damaging) comment about the aforementioned style of music. The world (especially the music world) is very messed up because people are frightened to stand up for what they believe in. Ok, maybe I took ONE man's opinion to heart, but that's only because I love and respect music (and am prepared to defend it). Maybe if there were more people like me, wonderful music like jazz & prog wouldn't have been reduced to mere stereotypes that people write about on blogs. Look, you don't like my tone, and I don't like the fact you've let someone who's obviously not qualified to speak about Hillage/Gong (especially when he's just been listening to compilations) post on your blog. You might not like my tone, lots of people didn't like Frank Zappa's either - I'm not saying I'm anything like him, I just respect my own freedom of speech (and I don't care if people challenge me). Anyway, here's your solution - DELETE ALL THESE POSTS INCLUDING HIS! I'm not just a musical tourist – I’m someone who lives and breathes music and I actually know what I'm talking about - but if you'd rather support half-arsed comments like our friend's, that's your prerogative, but please don't provide a platform for comment, then complain about what people write. At least I've written something tangible.

Bill K. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill K. said...

I'm not going to delete any comments. You obviously feel very strongly about your opinions and their value, so much so that you feel that disagreement with them is an attack on those opinions. If you are that wounded that I requested you elevate the level of your discourse, then there's naught else I can do.

Bill K. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill K. said...

Double posted, please move on. Nothing to see here.

Anonymous said...

I apppreciate your understanding Bill, and sorry for getting uptight over a some guy who'll probably never visit this page again (he'll certainly get a shock if he does!).

Anyway, I will be going to the Gong/Hillage concert as I live in London, so thanks for all the details.

Bill K. said...

I hope you enjoy the show.

Here's my honest bit; while I appreciate the musicianship of Gong, it is not necessarily close to my taste. I much prefer the fusion stylings of PM Gong to Planet Gong and the Trilogy albums. Having said this, I find some of that material fascinating (I particularly enjoy 'You'll Never Blow Yr. Trip Forever').

I used to be shocked when someone would ask me why I listened to music intended to make people either sleep or go insane from the lack of discernible melody or rhythm (Fripp Soundscapes); I have to accept that music is personal and my tastes are not your tastes. If someone doesn't grok it, it doesn't change my love or interest.