09 March 2009

Some brief notes…

Some brief notes…

I’ve been spending the past week moving, hence the lack of more original material up here. But I have been doing some listening/viewing, and here are a few brief notes on what I’ve been checking out.

Robin Taylor – Isle of Black. Back together with Karsten Vogel, this is a variety pack of material, from upbeat, jazzy stuff to intense instrumental workouts that channel King Crimson and “Burning Sky”-esque Porcupine Tree. The playing is excellent, the material very strong. Like many of Taylor’s releases, it’s brief, but the result is that the album never feels laboured or over-padded. Every piece is a finished work, and the album is solid as ever. I am really enjoying this one, and I’ve got to give it a proper review soon.

Derek Sherinian – Molecular Heinosity. One usually knows what one is getting into with a Sherinian release. The balls are firmly against the wall, the material is fast and furious, and the instrumental virtuosity is second to none. This new album is really no exception, and while it may lead to some ear fatigue (Too many notes! Aargh! Run!), no one can deny that this is the kind of material Derek was meant to be playing. One vocal track features Zakk Wylde, sounding eerily like one John Michael Osbourne. Quite an interesting release, to be sure. Expect a proper review soon.

The new official Phish downloads. If I said I doubt I’ve ever listened to a single Phish song all the way through, would you believe me? Maybenot, but it’s true. Still, I felt this was as good a way as any to check them out without risk, and sanctioned by the band. The recordings are excellent, the playing seems very strong, and the vocals…it’s a jam band. Vocals are weak. But that’s OK. I’m not sure that Phish is a band that I’d become a huge fan of, but I can see how they have developed such a strong fan base. 4 hour concerts…different songs each night…reminds me of classic Zappa in many ways…

Ending Themes (On the Two Deaths of Pain of Salvation). The new 2 DVD set from Pain of Salvation. I just got this in on Saturday, and with moving, have barely watched it. People who know me know I am not a huge fan of this band. I’ve watched about 45 minutes of the first DVD, which is a documentary on the 2005 tour, and one can pick up some of the tension that may have been ongoing at that time. The second DVD is a concert film of a show from the 2007 Scarsick tour, and as the performance leans heavily on that album, I may find it somewhat less involving (didn’t really care for that album). But I’ll certainly be going in with as open a mind as possible. Expect a deeper review of this release as well.

Other stuff due a review at my first convenience...

Redemption - Frozen in the Moment DVD/CD
Klaus Schulze - Rheingold DVD

No comments: